I keep waiting for one of those SLOW roasted days- where the autumn leaves make even the air glow with yellow embers. No appointments, no rehearsal, no practice, no auditions, no deadlines, no meetings... no laundry. SLOW.
Thing is... I fear that unless I snatch one of those slow days up with my own bare hands, they're not going to happen all on their own. Leisure doesn't behave like that...anymore. Did it ever? I can't remember, but I think it DID!! Well, it doesn't behave like that anymore... at least on my continent. On my continent, I need to create those days for myself, and for my family. That is why, as the long weekend approaches, I asked my tee-NAGERS to each think up one thing they would most like to experience outdoors this coming weekend.
Here are a few of MY ideas for a "slow roast":
1. Go leaf crunching- this activity is best done on a path of crisp yellow, orange and red leaves. As you walk, listen to the crunch-crunch-crunch.
2. Make hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks and sip-sip-sip.
3. Leaf Pressing- Yes... this hobby is alive and well- you just have to bend at the waist, reach down, pick up leaf, stand upright, go home, put between wax paper and press in book for a week.
4. Make "carmel" corn. Recipe: 1 cup unsalted butter, 1/4 cup light corn syrup, 2 cups packed dark brown sugar, 1/2 teas. salt, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 8 quarts popped corn(not air popped.) Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Melt butter in pan, add brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, water. Heat to boiling boil for 5 min.- Remove from heat add baking soda, stir. Pour over corn and coat. Place on cookie sheets, bake for 40 min. using lower and middle rack of oven- stir occasionally- remove corn from sheet promptly after baking. Yum-yum-yum.
4. Give "carmel" corn to loved ones, especially my mother and sister (hi thee,) cuz otherwise you'll eat the whole darn thing yourself. :) :) :)
5. Buy some pumpkins.
6. Harvest... something.
7. Rake. Or not.
8. Toss around a ball.
There you have it! Wonder how it will compare to my kids list.
Stay tuned for the tee-NAGERS list.... coming soon... to a blog near you.