Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Science of Giving


Matthew's Pennies
Originally uploaded by xxtickleticklexx
In an archival NY Times article, dating December 26, 1919, it was reported that if all the ants in the world gathered together in one place they would far outweigh all the elephants of the world. (This, according to a Statistical Naturalist. Who knew?)

It certainly gives illumination to "every little bit counts," doesn't it? 

From my newest book, Am I Beautiful? (09)-- a talking parrot and a little girl named Polly find themselves exploring the other side of a mirror. 

...Right then the sky turned to copper and it began to rain pennies!!  "Do you save your pennies for a rainy day? AWK?" the parrot asked.... 
"I have a piggy bank and an umbrella with lady bugs on it!" she replied proudly.  "Oh dear!"said Polly, as she placed a hundred pennies on top of a rabbit family's leaking roof.... 
Beautiful is sharing. 

And of course Giving has many faces. Sometimes Giving dresses up as a smile; or gives up parking spaces-- even though you were there first; or pays it forward;  or picks up a stranger's litter;  or walks the dog;  or makes dinner ('giving' begins at home;)  or shovels a neighbor's sidewalks;  or fills the bird feeder;  or forgives those who need it most.   Again.

3 comments:

Thea said...

I love this about giving. You have such a lovely way with words!! Your endless wit and sensitivity continue to astound me. (p.s. your book covers on flickr look very nice!!)

Thea said...

I love this about giving. You have such a lovely way with words!! Your endless wit and sensitivity continue to astound me. (p.s. your book covers on flickr look very nice!!)

Nesting Momma said...

Thank you for giving to me today. Your comment on my blog regarding my mini review of your book really made my day....I am so excited to look into what other books you have written! I would love to link you back on my other blog as well http://www.blessednest.blogspot.com
we have a section "friends in business"
a list of women in business that we love!
Thanks for writing your journey here as well.
Donna